Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oh IBS how I hate thee…

So I mentioned briefly on my blog that I finally admitted to  myself I had IBS but that it wasn’t a big deal. Just a few things I couldn’t eat anymore.

Alas, the longer I test out different foods, the longer the list gets of things that upset my system.

So, as I do, I decided this clearly required more research.

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/trigger2.asp – this is a list of things I CANNOT eat. But in summary for you – anything too high in fat, red meat (including wild game which I have a freezer full of), pork, dark meat poultry & skin, egg yolks, dairy products (although I figured out I can have a little bit mixed in things – my tolerance is just low), chocolate, carbonation, artificial sweeteners (as a diabetic – WHAT A PAIN), and MSG (that crap is in everything). There are other things on that trigger list but since I don’t do coffee or caffeine or alcohol – those things were really easy to give up! haha.

Now fiber – this is the big juggle. There are two types of fiber. Insoluble and Soluble. We all need insoluble fiber. It’s what your body breaks down and uses as fiber, it keeps the pH balance in your GI system. But in an IBS person this stuff triggers attacks (which are just awful).

So what to do? This is a pretty good list of insoluble fibers - http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp. This is a list of soluble ones  - http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp. (If you look, notice how much incredibly short the soluble fiber list is. Not fair I think!)

So the deal is that if I have soluble fiber first then I can follow it with a little insoluble fiber and hopefully not suffer any consequences and still give my body the things it needs. For example, starting my meal with a salad – not good. But I can eat some rice and then have a small salad.

Oh add things high in sulfur (garlic, onions, some veggies, etc), anything highly acidic (too much citrus, vinegar, cooked tomatoes), and anything too high in fructose. – those are also things to be very careful with.

And all of this I have to balance with the fact that I have diabetes of course. If you look at the soluble fiber list you’ll see that many of those things are high in carbs – things that raise my blood sugar the most.

Add to that some things that are triggers for my acid reflux. Like citrus. I had about an inch of homemade lemonade awhile back – had acidic heartburn for 9 hours. And then IBS consequences for 48 hours. It was not awesome.

And then there is the endometriosis – which only effects me and rears it’s ugly head once a month but it is nonetheless wildly annoying. 

So I don’t want to be this person. This person with all the health issues. But apparently I don’t get a say.

I just want to get to the point where the IBS “diet” (I put that in quotes because it’s for the rest of my life of course) is second nature to me and I don’t have to think about it tons. Like my diabetes – just part of life.

The other day my sister asked me if I kept the receipt for this body. We had a whole hilarious conversation that followed. I love her!

Then my friend Kathy says to me on FB yesterday - your body isn't nearly as tough as your spirit!! (I was posting about my sunburn. Two hours total outside on a 70 something Wyoming May day and I look like a lobster! Ridiculous.)

And that I’d say is exactly what is at the root of my mental issues with this. I’m tough! I can take a lot – mentally, emotionally, spiritually. I have been through lots of things and come out the other side stronger each time. But my body? It’s not tough. Not at all. And it irritates me to no end!

5 comments:

NIblet said...

I, too, laughed about having a receipt for your body; I bet you do wish there were a way to make a trade some days. When I start to think like that, I go visit my friend Jenny who I push around in a wheelchair and who can't speak. Then I LOVE my imperfect body! Aren't you grateful to be in a time when you can actually understand and work around/with the diabetes and IBS?
But dang, can't have fresh lemonade?? *sigh* I feel for you!

A mother heart said...

I found a website a while back that you might like:

http://fartygirl.blogspot.com/

I found it when she left a comment on a blog I was reading and I thought the blog name was hilarious so I clicked over. She has IBS and has documented all she's learned on her blog.

I love the receipt comment! Yes, sometimes it would be nice to return or exchange for a better model! HAHA

dani said...

Just think of how amazing you look after only a few weeks on that diet!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

That would irritate the crap out of me, too. I can't picture having choices MADE for me based upon my body's abilities like that. Good thing you ARE tough spirited, babe.

Now, where's the pics of those beautiful girls!?!?

Summer P Kramer said...

I have tummy issues also! What a great post!