Sunday, November 25, 2012

Meatloaf

This is a post I wrote a long time ago before I knew I shouldn't have all corn or no gluten/wheat.

Years and years ago Drew wanted me to make meatloaf. I'd never done it and I only had a few cookbooks at the time. One of them was this Campbell's book that had a "Best Ever Meatloaf" recipe in it. So I made it, it was a simple recipe and as it turns out it was SO GOOD. I've never even bothered to try another meatloaf recipe.

But now I have IBS and I can't have a million different things. A few days ago I decided I'd try making an IBS friendly meatloaf - a version of the Campbell's one we know and love.

The Original (should you be so inclined...)

  • 1 can condensed Tomato Soup
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 pouch Dry Onion Soup Mix
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup water

My IBS Version/Wheat free/Corn free
  • 1 can condensed Tomato Soup (no hfcs! if you can't find that get some canned tomatoes, puree them and simmer until the right thickness - go from there - I'd guess about 1.5 cups worth)
  • 2 lbs ground turkey
  • 4 tsp beef bullion or veggie bullion (make sure it's safe)
  • 8 tsp onion flakes
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (preferably with no dairy)
  • 2 egg whites or 3 TB egg whites (from a carton)

  1. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup of tomato soup, meat, spices/bullion, bread crumbs, egg. Shape into a loaf and put into a loaf pan.
  2. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Spoon off or drain fat, reserving 1 - 2 TBSP.
  3. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining tomato soup, water, reserved drippings. Heat through, stirring occasionally. You can just serve this with the meatloaf or I just slice the meatloaf in the pan and then dump it all over the top of it.
Drew says the new version is better then the original. I say both are delicious. Just different with the turkey. I think I like the texture better with the turkey.

0 comments: