Saturday, April 20, 2013

Gluten Free Pudding Brownies

These brownies are dairy-free, wheat-free, soy-free, corn-free, low-fat, egg-free, high in fiber & protein... I'm sure there is more but that should do.

They are an adaption of these: IBS Brownies - which were not wheat free. I've had IBS longer than I've been gluten free. I used to eat those brownies and just love them but it's been a long time. I decided it was time to have them again!

These are rich and decadent. You will not eat them and feel as if you are missing anything at all!

Ingredients
1 cup sugar, divided
1/4 cup garfava flour
2 TB sorghum flour
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp arrowroot starch*
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp tapioca starch/flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
2 tsp baking powder**
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup oil (I used a mix of olive and canola I had on hand)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk***
1 tbsp ground cacao powder**** (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Directions
Preheat over to 350F. Spray an 8-inch or 9-inch pan with cooking spray.

Whisk together the dry batter ingredients (2/3 cup sugar, the flours, salt, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and cinnamon) until blended thoroughly. Add the oil, almond milk, and vanilla. Stir until you form a stiff batter. Spoon the batter evenly into the pan you have prepared.

In a small bowl combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cocoa. Whisk together. Sprinkle on top of batter in an even layer.

Dissolve cacao powder into the boiling water. Pour over the batter. DO NOT STIR.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is brownie crackled and crisp. Serve Warm! When you cut the brownies, take the piece and flip it upside down onto a plate. Instantly your brownie has a warm chocolate-y sauce. Delicious.



 Enjoy!


*If you are not concerned about being corn-free you could absolutely use corn starch here. 

**If you ARE concerned about it being corn free, make sure your baking powder doesn't contain corn starch. If you don't have that or are unable to find it you can use this substitution: 1/2 tsp cream of tarter, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp arrowroot or tapioca.

***If you would like for these to be tree nut-free just use rice milk! It works just as well in this recipe. I even had one friend make them for me when I was sick years ago. She didn't have rice milk and tried them with just water. They were still delicious. Perhaps slightly less rich.  

****You could use instant coffee. Decaffeinated would be best as the original recipe calls for. I do not drink coffee so I used the delicious cacao powder. Either way it is optional.

0 comments: