Monday, June 30, 2008

Work, work, work

I don't believe I've mentioned it on my blog but on May 28th Drew got laid off work. Now, on the railroad "laid off" is not the same thing as most jobs. They could call him back any day but we don't know when & for how long. He did get called back for 4 days a couple of weeks ago, then cut off again.

It's scary. I'm worried sick about how all of July's bills are going to get paid but at the same time feel fairly calm that it'll all work out. He's on a railroad board called "AWTS". They are gauranteed pay for one trip per week. Normally when he's working he makes 4 trips a week. So it's not enough pay for sure.

The railroad is similar to it's own government. We don't pay Social Security/Fica taxes, etc. But this also means Drew can't get unemployment. The railroad DOES have it's own unemployment board but they want you to have been working for so long that there is nearly a year lag time where you can't get unemployment from anywhere. Drew's lag time ends today (June 30). So he can start getting unemployment July 1st. But it means it gets nothing for June.

And then today he got the phone call that he will probably - starting next week - be able to work in Cheyenne for a month. 150 miles away. We need the money. He must go where they tell him but... this makes me feel sick. I can't stand the thought of being away from my husband for a month - the thought of Leah not seeing her Daddy - who she is in a phase of ADORING - for a month.

This child who has taken to this conversation:

Me: Are you my _______ (insert term of endearment)?
Leah: NO! I'm Daddy's _______!

Sheesh ;)

Mostly I think I'm handling this unemployment business really well. I'm working extra. Drew is painting my parent's house. They were going to pay someone so it might as well be him. lol Mom loves the job he's doing & says he should start a side business.

And I've been very calm. If I freak & get all depressed, Drew will feel worse. He will feel pressured & he takes that to heart. Because he's the breadwinner & he feels horrid about himself if I can't have whatever I want. So I just don't mention the random cravings I have for Pad Thai, etc. ha. ha.

**Just an FYI. My husband loves to run errands. And I mean LOVES. I don't care if it's midnight. There are times when he harasses me until I come up with an errand for him. I have to make things up for him to go buy. It's cuckoo but I'm not complaining!

Anyway - all-in-all we're still good. Happy & waiting.

Does it seem we're always waiting for something or another to happen?

1 comments:

Away2me said...

You are handling things awesome!
Being gone a month will suck, but you can go for a visit maybe once or twice. I hope things get settled soon.