Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Party & Santa Trauma

PC120126

Help me out here. Do you think she liked being a donkey? Do you think she liked those ears on her head?

That was the look on her face the whole time. I did get a tiny half smile out of her but I had to make the most ridiculous faces to get her to do that.

She told me afterward, “I hate those ears! I didn’t want to wear those!”

Poor kid. Drew & I laughed through the entire thing.

PS Sorry about the sad picture quality.

Then she wanted to go see Santa.

Now, first I must explain that I haven’t told my child all about Santa. I love the magic of course Christmas. I love the mystical quality of Santa but I have a really, really hard time flat out lying to her face. So she’s got the idea of him now – I haven’t tried to avoid it. Actually, last year I did say something about people liking to believe that he comes to their house while you’re sleeping and leaves presents – She was HORRIFIED. I told her it wasn’t true to get rid of her fears that some crazy  man in a red suit was going to break into our house. Whew.

This year she doesn’t seem to remember that. And even though she brought it up to me and told me she doesn’t believe in Santa and she knows I buy her presents she seems to be changing her mind…

She says she wants to talk to him but as she’s shy with new people it all seems like a great idea until she was standing in front of him.

PC120133

He talked to her, he gave her candy and then as she walked away from him… she BURST into tears. She came running to me, clinging and I couldn’t get her to tell me what was the matter. I figured it was one of two things. 1. the whole thing scared her or 2. she was upset she hadn’t talked.

As it turns out it was both. She finally calmed down and went off to play (although she still hadn’t spoke) and then she came back to me crying again – I just want to talk to him. I didn’t tell him what I want. He won’t know!

Okay. Clearly she’s decided whether she’s sure she believes in him or not – he needs to know what she wants for Christmas.

So we stand in line again (forever I might add) and she gets about 6 inches from him and won’t go closer and is too scared to talk again. So I offered to tell him what she wanted. (she had told me earlier what she wanted to tell him)

So I kneeled down next to her and I told him she wants a little oven and a football uniform with a helmet that has dolphins on the side (the child loves the Miami Dolphins!).

This made him laugh (of course – how many 4 year old girls are asking for football uniforms??). He talked to her for a minute about loving football and finally got some grins out of her.

And she left happy – even though she still never spoke to Santa. Mommy took care of it.

Whew.

The best news is I’d already bought those things. They should actually both be here in the mail today.

Yeah Mommy! (aka Santa)

3 comments:

Jaimee said...

Fun post! Yay for mom! :o) My two almost three year old was totally petrifide of Santa this year. She wanted to see him but didn't want to get any where near him. Why does that guy have to be so darn scary?

Sue said...

LOL Cute!

Connie Babe said...

awesome storytelling!

and i'm so psyched for her and her presents...