So this morning Leah was dancing her normal little jig - which we love - and Drew decided to start doing it too. They were dancing around the living room being goofy and suddenly Drew says "Let's do the stupid dance!" & adds a kick to Leah's little jig. It was hysterical and Leah was laughing at him. Then suddenly she started doing it too. LOL It is SO fun to watch her! I love how much she loves her Daddy.
We've hit a anxious separation anxiety phase with me & her. (No not ME! ;) ) I went to a craft project thing at church yesterday at 10 AM. At 10:25 I talked to Drew on the phone - and I mean just that - I was talking but he couldn't hear a word I was saying because Leah was HYSTERICAL. She was bawling at the front door, banging and crying Mamamamamamamama and wouldn't let Drew comfort her. I was only about 4/5 minutes away so I just ran home and got both of them and took them back with me. She was so happy to see me. And she relaxed into me when I came in the door. I won't be leaving her again for awhile! She played in the gym at church with Drew and came to visit me every few minutes. She just needs to know she has access to me when she wants it.
So I have a local friend & one of my most favorite forum friends who both have (extra) kids they are fostering right now. One is temporary and one is (hopefully!!!) permanent. I am so inspired by my friends. The local friend just found out she's pregnant so she'll only be doing it until May (an aside - I'm SO happy for her about this pregnancy. It took her 5 years to get pg with her first, 3 for her second, a couple for her third - who died shortly after birth. And now this pregnancy just came out of the blue!! Very cool) My forum friend is just one of the coolest people I've had the pleasure to know. She goes into this with her whole heart and I just think she's amazing.
Drew & I have talked about doing foster care on & off for a long time. And now that we really are wanting another child - it's time to face that decision again.
We know we have to go into it with the perspective that we want to help these kids reunite with thier families. I do believe that's best as long as the parents pull it together for them, etc.
But am I prepared to get my heart broken? Is Drew? And what about Leah? What if she gets really attached and then the other kids leaves? What am I doing to her if I do that?
Any advice?
It’s Not About Hate. Not Entirely.
9 years ago
6 comments:
Hmmmm. No advice as I haven't been through it, but I hope you come to your decision as easily as possible. I can only imagine it's a difficult one.
I was laughing out loud picturing Leah & Drew dancing. Moments like these really make life wonderful. You're so blessed!! :D
I don't have advice regarding foster care, but I'll be watching to see what kind of advice you get. We often think about doing foster care (after our 1st adoption). Follow your heart - God will lead you! :-)
((hugs))
Pep
When we decided to adopt through foster care, the verse God put on our heart over and over again was Jeremiah 29:11: "'for I know the plans i have for you,' declares the Lord. 'They are for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Whatever plan God has for you, it is a good one. I'm sure He will show you the way.
Great questions. You need to "meet" my friend Ana. She is on my sidebar at Watch out for Mamma. she adopted two kids and is fostering one right now. She has a great perspective on it and is realistic about it..... She is also a great read.
I don't know if I could foster right now, but I do know that the families that do it are my heros.
Okay...this is a very personal opinion take it as you will!! You know I love you and you know that my mom is a foster mom. Mark and I have had this same discussion and we believe that it is a very personal decision that any particular family would need to make...but...with what I have been exposed to and seen...I would not do foster care until my kids were much older (almost adults) or out of the house all together!
I feel that it is too hard for the young kids to constantly cope with "siblings" coming in and out of your life. Also...I don't trust people enough...even other children to treat my child the way I want him to always be treated.
If something ever happened to Tyce by a foster child...I could never forgive myself. This obviously wouldn't be an issue if you took in babies or children younger than Leah!
That is enough of my rambling!! Sorry...just pray and Heavenly Father will lead you to the right path...that is really what I should have said first!! Good luck!!
Love,
Daisha
Daisha! - Don't be sorry!
Really - truly - my biggest hang up is how it will affect Leah. This is one of the reasons Drew & I have discussed doing it when we are older and our children our grown. A way we could still give to society/the world, etc. But not "hurt" the children we've raised, KWIM?
We'll see. I don't know!! *weeping*
Hugs! Love ya!
-------------------------
Thanks everyone! I don't know what we're gonna do. Daisha's pointed out when of my worst fears there. I'm feeling a little lost about the decision. I really want to go into for the right reasons. And I'm afraid I'm not. Sigh. I just don't know!
Post a Comment