Thursday, May 17, 2007

Religious Stuff

So I'm a religious person. It's not something I talk about a lot online... I think mostly because it's something that is sacred & precious to me. I don't normally throw my beliefs out into the world to listen to them debated. Especially since LDS (mormon) - which I am - have I mentioned that on here? - anyway... especially since LDS beliefs are so often bashed on anyway.

It's been a few years since there was a major moment where I had to deal with that. I think that last time was in college when there was a guy with a HUGE (like 8/9 feet tall) sign walking around campus and written all over it was all the people he through were going to hell - every sin you can think of written all over it. And then across the bottom in letters 3x as big as every thing "AND ALL MORMONS!"

It's an odd thing to be walking to class & be reminded there are people who hate you for your very existence. It's not like I don't KNOW that but nonetheless - it sort of smacks you in the face all the sudden.

I know my religious history but it just seems like in this day & age it shouldn't such an issue. Naive of me though - it was legal to KILL Mormons in Missouri until 1975. I was BORN in 1975. There were massacres, many many people were tarred & feathered, etc. It's just crazy.

Anyway!

I've been reading my scriptures every night before bed. It's a goal I always have but I'm not successful much LOL. Routines are not my strong point! But I've been really good lately. Especially since I got my PDA. I have them all on there and I can read wherever I am! I love it.

PS When I say "scriptures" - in the LDS world - the means Bible (Old & New Testament - King James version), Book of Mormon (similar to the Bible but about what happened in the Americas), Doctrine & Covenants - mostly church history & current revelation, & the Pearl of Great Price - which includes the books of Moses & Abraham.

So I'm reading in the book of mormon & the first book is called "Nephi" pronounced knee-fi...

and I've been writing so much background here I have forgotten what I was going to write about Nephi. I'm not even kidding.

I'm losing my mind!

Well, okay. I'll switch tracks. Maybe it will come to me later... Sigh.

Grace - a few months back I said I was going to write a post about grace because I'd seen it mentioned on another forum & I was ANNOYED.

This is a topic I've spent a lot of time studying and so many people just scrape the surface. I don't BY ANY MEANS completely understand the depths of this topic though. lol

Here's the thing - among the Christian religions - there seem to be two camps. Those that say "You are saved!" and then that's it. You are required to do nothing at all. You're just saved.

And then the other camp that says you are only saved IF you done all you can do. You've done all the work and then when you couldn't work anymore - Christ finishes the rest.

I don't think either thing is totally true (not that there are really just two camps - what I've discovered in my research is that there is a third).

Yes - Christ giving his life for us is a gift. It is a freely given gift that requires no works on our parts. I firmly believe that.

HOWEVER, I think in TRUE acceptance of that gift you do the works. You do what Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ would have you do. The works come AFTER you accept the gift NOT before.

I've often heard several analogies that I think have it all wrong. For instance, you are running a race or marathon & you run has hard and as fast as you can. You wear yourself out until you have nothing left. Then at this point Christ picks up the slack and finishes the race.

Or you have a bank account and when you've used up everything you have then Christ makes up the rest

etc etc etc.

When I first started researching this topic I thought to myself "Why do we pray then?" I mean - really. If I'm all alone until I've totally used myself up... then why am I praying everyday? If I don't get any help until I've collapsed?

I think that's the inherit flaw in these analogies.

Christ & his saving grace & the atonement are NOT just there when we have failed. He is there at EVERY moment, every turn, every bend in the road, every struggle, every trail. When he died for us and he took upon the sins of the world - he didn't just take up on our sins! He took on every emotion, every sadness, every trial, every single moment. So when the scriptures teach that Christ knows YOU specifically. It's because He does. He KNOWS you. Every single sorrow.

And His grace IS for everyone. He stands offering that gift - requiring nothing in response - but as we accept that gift and apply to our lives, we will do the good works and help further His causes in this world because when you are living a Christ-centered life you notice that people who need your help more, you notice the little things that need done. That neighbor needs her porch shoveled, those people need dinner one night to ease their burdens for a day, etc.

**PS I'm sorry if this is disjointed. I've been writing on & off for more than an hour because I'm taking care of Leah too. lol But now she's finally asleep! woohoo!

There's lots of scriptural references for all of this. I'm entirely too lazy to put them on in there for right now. And since it's been about 2 hours since I started this. I'm tired of writing!

I just want to say: I know my Savior loves me. I know He knows me. I know He cries when I cry, aches for my sorrows, rejoices with me, and celebrates my triumphs. And I know that when I pray and ask for help, He helps. That is the point in praying everyday.

And I'm very sorry about all the typos in this but I'm tired now. Feel free to ask me questions about anything you read. I'm happy to answer. hehe. Sorry if it doesn't make sense!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't make it day-to-day without God's grace! I'm so ever grateful that I don't have to work for Christ to love me and that He loved me SO much that He actually died for me. Now is a serious thought, if we just sit and think about it! I'm a child of God and will work daily on building an intimate relationship with Him. Thanks Camille for your thoughts. It's an encouraging way to start my day!

Love,
Robin or TripleR =)

Patti said...

Camille,

It all makes perfect sense! And, I appreciated your post. God is a gracious God, always right there - just waiting for us to come to Him.

I especially loved this part of your post:

"I just want to say: I know my Savior loves me. I know He knows me. I know He cries when I cry, aches for my sorrows, rejoices with me, and celebrates my triumphs. And I know that when I pray and ask for help, He helps. That is the point in praying everyday."

I think we all need to remember this today and everyday. I know I need God's grace to help me through each day!

Love you - Pep

Anonymous said...

It is only through God's grace that I can do what he wants me TO DO! :) Cause I agree with you, trying to explain it is like trying to explain the sky to someone who is blind. Only harder!

I've never been able to believe the "your saved now thats it" kind of deal either. I believe indeed that Jesus is my Savior....but its after that fact that the work begins. And he is there to help.

Anyway...thank you for the thoughts!!!

:D Kathy