My daughter was so brave today!
We went for a walk & there's an elementary park up the street with a park. I rarely walk that direction because it ends so soon it makes for a short walk but since it was so chilly (57 - it was 36 when I got up this morning & the wind chill was 24!)I decided to take a right and head that way. We were walking and Leah was pushing her little stroller packed with one of her dolls & her Elmo.
Anyway, about two blocks from the park she sees it, ditches the stroller, and just starts running down the side walk!
I guess first you need to know - Leah doesn't like parks. Every time I take her to one she sort of walks around and touches stuff and plays with it. However, she won't play on anything and any attempt to encourage her is might with clingy & fear.
But not today!
So we got over to the park & she kind of stands there checking everything out. It's a big park - several groups of swings, a smaller wooden climbing/slide/swing thing, and then a really big metal play thing with four slides coming off of it and lots of other climbing stuff.
So she says "Slide!" and heads over there. I'm thinking "Ya, right."
So I helped her up there & she stands there for a minute with this look I wish I could describe. The only thing that comes close is just grim determination. She was going down that slide no matter what. So I offered her my hand & down she went. "Again!" she says. (Meanwhile tons of praise for bravery from me!!) This time she didn't want me to touch her and she went down yelling "WHEEEEEE!" And then she did it a bazillion times. It was so amazing to watch her just decide to do it. She was totally scared at first & then she did it anyway! SO brave!
Then she walked across a bridge. It was railed on the sides but loosely and at least a foot over my head. She stood at the head of it for a long time before going through. Same look of grim determination. I went up there and walked back & forth across it so she saw it was safe. Then I stood underneath & stuck my fingers through the bottom which she thought was hysterical. lol
So today is the day of bravery!
Leah is so brave!
It’s Not About Hate. Not Entirely.
9 years ago
5 comments:
Yes, Leah is brave...Tyce is just crazy!! He started going down slides on his own MONTHS ago (like this last spring). I couldn't believe it. I watched him (his back was too me) and he was sitting at the top of the slide. Another mom said "Surely he is not going to go down that slide" And I said "I wouldn't be surprised" And sure enough...down he went!!! It was a BIG slide too. A full sized one with a bump in the middle and everything!
Yes, Brave...and a little CRAZY!!
LOL He's not crazy he's just all wreckless boy! ;)
It wasn't so much the slide that seemed so brave as her facing her fear like that, kwim? She was so scared & she did it anyway!
I hope you don't mind. I have been finding myself getting lost in this blogging world; finding families that have adopted. I wish there were more birthmoms with sites. That's ok. I just wanted to tell you that your daughter is ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!! I can remember being 5yrs old saying that I want to adopt an African American baby. Someday. Again she is beautiful!! I hope all goes well with your second adoption. It warmed my heart to see that you still have contact with your birthmom. What a wonderful story you have. There is no way to put into words the experience of an adoption from either side unless you have gone through it or are going through it.
Hi Carly! Of course, I don't mind!
If you look on my blogroll there are two blogs there from women who have relinquished! Not Mother & Paragraphein - if you go to both of those sites they have LONG blogrolls with more mom & adoptees.
Happy Reading & thanks for stopping by :)
WTG Leah! Cautious children can just break your heart at times, but when they finally overcome a fear, it's SO amazing. So happy for you!
Post a Comment