I was reading some threads at forums today that had me thinking about Leah's name & I thought I'd share how we chose it.
First, I've been picking out children's names since I was in high school. On my list of girl names was always Leah. My sister's name is Leah Marie & I adore her ;)
One day when I was talking to D on the phone before Leah was born I asked her if she had named the baby. She said & I quote "I have but it doesn't matter. This is your baby & you should name her." I kept telling her I wanted to incorporate the name or something, etc. Finally I had to agree that I would name her whatever I wanted & not take it into consideration before she would tell me. She was hysterical about it but I was sad.
Anyway - FINALLY I convinced her & she said "Leah Maria". I about fainted. Cautiously, I asked how she'd chosen that name & she said "One night I was laying in bed & she was kicking me & I just said 'Leah Maria - knock that off!' It just came out like that."
I said, "D, that is my sister's name!" We were both just quiet for awhile.
I mean REALLY. What are the chances? She didn't look in baby name books, she didn't even think about it. She just called her a name I had on my list of 4 names. My SISTER'S name?
Anyway. I decided to actually just do Marie because I didn't like them both ending in the same sound. lol
I know in the online adoption world it is not PC to say that anything about adoption was "meant to be".
But even when D & I talked about it later we talked about how we felt this charge & sense of... I don't know.
So there you have it. And certainly - at the very least - it felt like Leah's name was MEANT TO BE!
*****
September 6, 2009
Adoption Round Table #6
It’s Not About Hate. Not Entirely.
9 years ago
2 comments:
I thought D said Aleah Maria? I remember that it rhymed. Not that it matters. Its still close enough to be kismet.
Yay for having a namesake!
No, I thought she said Aleah later but apparently that was just her accent. hehe.
Post a Comment