Monday, January 23, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies



Revised Chocolate Chip Cookies  - Go there and make those ones if you're looking for a recipe. I made some changes :)

*****

This is the recipe as I made it today. They were truly fantastic cookies. I’m going to make two changes the next time I make them.
1 – 1/2 tsp cream of tarter (I want a little more puff in the cookie)
2 – “quick” oats to grind for flour. I think that will give a slightly smoother texture. Although I kind of like the earthiness of the oat flour as it is. I still want to try it though.
***
2/3 cup oat flour* (I ground regular oats)
1/3 cup plus 2 TBSP Brown Rice flour
1/3 cup plus 2 TBSP Tapioca Flour/Starch
1/3 cup plus 2 TBSP Sweet/Glutinous Rice Flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (with no peanut warning!)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325F. Center rack. (Or if you’re feeling ambitious – do half the time in the middle/upper and half in the middle lower. I was not feeling that ambitious.)
In one bowl sift all the dry things together – flours, xanthan gum, soda, salt (cream of tarter if you’re doing that).
In the stand mixer (that’s what I used. You can use whatever floats your boat – or is available in your kitchen…) put the brown sugar, raw sugar, and butter. Mix until very thoroughly blended. I left it on high while I helped Hannah with something so I’m not sure how long it went.
Add to that mixture the eggs and vanilla. Mix again until combined and lighter.
Add the dry ingredients. Mix until blended.
Add the chocolate chips. Mix.
2012-01-23_12-01-11_812
I dropped the dough by heaping tablespoons and round them into the little balls. See how you can see tiny oat flakes? That’s why I want to try the quick oats. Hmm. Or maybe I need a vitamix so grind my flour better. (That would be me looking for a justification to buy a vitamix. FYI.)
2012-01-23_12-01-06_223
I did 6 to a cookie sheet because they were big cookies.
Baked for 11 minutes in my oven.
2012-01-23_15-14-55_765
*I have read that if you’re trying to avoid gluten you have to be careful with oats. We are just trying to avoid wheat so I can use oat flour. If you’re gluten intolerant/celiac make sure your oat flour is okay for you!

0 comments: