I save the corner with the cats for last. Always.
Why?
Well, I love cats - really really really love - and I'm always hopeful I can rush the children through the last bit and we won't dwell on the cats.
If we dwell... I love. And it's very hard for me to walk away.
So we've made our way around to the cats. I remind the girls not to tap on the glass and immediately the cat in front of me starts rubbing against the glass trying to get me to pet him. Pet Smart doesn't have any way for you to actually touch the cats without asking (Petco does - just FYI) so I couldn't pet him. I start reading his information. Sigh.
He was FREE. WTH! I start looking around. There are 4 adults cats. They are all black or black and a few patches of white. All adults. FREE.
Black cats are the hardest to find homes for because people believe some archaic superstitions about the blackness of cats. Stupidity.
So they're doing a little marketing. Reminding people that black cats are not scary or a curse and giving them away. So I stood there looking at these cats. Seeing the markdowns. $10.00 was crossed out and FREE written over it. And I started to cry.
I'm such a baby. Cry. Cry. Cry.
No one would adopt them at $10.00!?!? Kick me in the gut.
If my children were not both allergic to cats, I would have left with two cats. Without doubt.
I love my dogs, I really do. But I am definitely a cat person.
A cat person with cat-allergic children. Oh the irony.
If you have a home for a cat, go get one. Go in any shelter (or your local Pet Smart and see if they are giving them away for free too!) specifically request a black cat. They'll be pleased and you'll have my undying gratitude.
UC Berkley Study: Black cats have bad luck getting adopted

4 comments:
We had Siamese cats growing up. They are low allergenic. They may be worth trying with your girls.
After we buy a house, we're getting a cat. And I want a black cat. I love black cats.
Yay Jaycey!!!!
Aubrey - If I ever have a friend with a Siamese cat I'm definitely going to try out how my girls do around one! Now to just acquire said friend.... :p
Post a Comment