Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oreo Balls & Molten Lava Cake

I made two things today. Well three. I did the Shrimp/Zucchini Tostada that are HERE (I had a craving for those) but two new things. This is going to turn into one really long blog post with two recipes but here goes…

Oreo Cookie Balls

These were really very simple to make.

Combine:

1 regular pkg Oreos
1 – 8 oz pkg cream cheese

I did this first in my food processor which chose the moment half way through to seize up and begin to spew smoke! Excellent timing, don’cha think? So then I transferred it to a bowl and finished with my immersion blender. I should have just done that to begin with LOL

DSCN0185 After you blend these things together you can form little balls and place them onto a foil covered pan (or wax paper. whatever you have). I used a 1/2 TBSP spoon and another spoon to scoop it out to form the ball. Then you put them in the fridge for an hour or so.

**Leah’s mouth covering… She’s sick and she kept coughing all over the place. I said she could keep helping me but that she had to wear that. She was not too pleased with the idea but she had no choice.

She really was very good at making the balls though!DSCN0190

Towards the end of that time you melt some chocolate of whatever chocolate floats your boat. I saw a lot of suggestions about chocolate bark but I used Ghirardelli milk chocolate baking chips (one whole bag). I melted them in a double boiler.

Then I pulled out the balls and formed them into more perfect balls with my hands. Then I just used a spoon to roll them around in the chocolate. Back onto the foiled pan.

DSCN0199DSCN0206 

Once the chocolate was set some we drizzled decorating gel over the top and stuck them back in the fridge.

I don’t know what I expected of these but they’re delicious. The inside goo stuff looks like black tar which is mildly frightening but they’re delicious! What’s not to love? Oreo, cream cheese, and chocolate. Yummo.

Molten Lava Cake

So for such a “I always eat this in fancy restaurants” kind of dessert this is fascinatingly simple to make.

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for muffin tins
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for muffin tins
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted ( 1 1/3 full cups of chips)
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
  • Whipped Heavy Whipping Cream (to top with when you eat. you could do ice cream or something of course)

Preheat to 400 degrees.

So you take a 6 cup muffin tin (or use a 12, just do this to 6 and put a little water in the other 6 to avoid scorching during baking), coat them in the extra butter, then liberally coat each cup in sugar.

DSCN0193Don’t skip this part. It gives a delightful outer crust to the cake!

Now mix until fluffy the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs – one at at time and blend thoroughly after each egg. On low, add the flour and salt until blended. Now slowly added the melted chocolate (do this by hand) and just folded it in until combined.

Split the batter between the 6 cups, bake for 8-10 minutes. DSCN0195

*Note – if you cook these too long they will not be ruined. They won’t be lava cakes anymore. They will be rich dense cupcakes.

Turn them upside down, dust with powdered sugar, and top with a dollop of whipped cream.

I took this first picture before I took a bite of course. Then I cut it open and got so excited I kept taking bites and forgot the original flowing lava picture. Oops. LOL Although this one still looks dang yummy!

DSCN0196

DSCN0198

That is one worthy dessert.

Drew was at work while I did all this and I didn’t realize he was coming home at 3 in the afternoon and he walks in and all 3 of these things were hot and waiting. He was one happy man!    

0 comments: