Saturday, October 29, 2011

Breakfast Invention

2 cups Krusteaz Pancake Mix
1 1/2 cups water
2 TBSP melted butter flavored shortening (you could use butter or oil)
1 TBSP Orange Zest (I used dried)
1 tsp Vanilla (Mexican. yummy)

1 Belgian Waffle Maker

I left the batter to sit while I made the sauce so that the dried zest could hydrate. 

Sauce:

1 can Mandarin Oranges
2 tsp Sugar
1 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP pure Maple Syrup
Pinch of Nutmeg
Pinch of Allspice
1/8-1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Boil for about 10 minutes.

Pour into another container (or you could just remove from heat). Add some vanilla. About a teaspoon.

Assembly:

A waffle.
A dollop of Greek Gods Honey Yogurt.
Mandarin Orange Sauce.

Personally I thought this was fantastic. Drew isn’t here so I don’t have another adult opinion. Hannah ate it fine – although she has a fever and she didn’t eat a ton.

Leah: This tastes good but it looks weird so I don’t want to eat it.

Me (through very clenched teeth): Go. To. Your. Room.

A few minutes later I go to her room…

Me: Seriously Leah? It looks weird?

Leah: I’m not hungry.

Me: Just stay in here until you are. (Which I only said because I knew she was lying. She’d been begging for breakfast for a good 30 minutes). She came out about 2 minutes later. *rolling eyes*

She’s now eating her waffle.

Why do I bother? I’m just going to keep reminding myself that I cook because I enjoy it. I’m worth it too, right?

PS Most of the measurements are guesstimations. Sorry. I wasn’t actually planning to blog this until the child fit started.

I’m gonna go assemble another one just to take a picture of now. I’d take a picture of mine but I inhaled it while I typed this. I might be forced to eat more bites since I’m assembling it anyway….

Update: Leah decided not to take more bites and now she’s just hanging out in her room to preserve her life.

Another Update: She came back out again and is now for real eating the waffle. Oy.

DSCN8248DSCN8255DSCN8252DSCN8254

Looks like torture, eh?

Oh AND if you haven't had Greek Gods Yogurt. Get thee hence to the store!!! Store Locator here. To Die for. Honey. Strawberry Honey. YUM.

1 comments:

Connie Babe said...

looks very good!

i love the greek gods cinnamon vanilla orange one. they need to carry it here.