Friday, August 28, 2009

Fabulous week

On Sunday Leah & I left town with my mom and went to Denver. It was a fantastic trip! We had so much fun.

Monday - we got up early and went to the zoo. We stayed there until 12:30 or so. Leah loved it of course. Then we had lunch and went to see the movie Julie & Julia - which I positively loved! Then we shopped at the mall.

Tuesday - we shopped from beginning to end. We were EXHAUSTED. It was wonderful. lol

Wednesday - we packed up all our stuff from the hotel room, ran a few left over errands from the day before and then we headed off to meet a highschool friend (Nathalie - I hadn't seen her since highschool. I was so great to see her!) and then we headed home.

Now. The food on this trip. Maybe to everyone the making or breaking of a vacation/trip isn't about the food... but to me? It's all about the food. Sure it can be fun without it - good company, good fun - BUT the food! Ya. Anyway.

So Monday at lunch we were in the mall waiting for the movie and we checked the "food court" (not really a food court in this mall - more like a restaurant row). Anyway, we went into a panda express and I see a sign that says "Honey Walnut Shrimp" and a picture of it. I got so excited. See - there was this dish at a Vietnamese place in Boise - Crunchy Walnut Shrimp they called it. I don't have any family in Boise anymore and I thought I would never have that dish again. But here it was! In a panda express! I walk up and the woman didn't even ask - she just stabbed a piece with a tooth pick and handed it to me & mom. And ya - it was it. It was delicious!! We ordered and then went next door to Sbarro's to get Leah a piece of pepperoni pizza. Oh and earlier in the day we passed a Starbucks and got to have creme blended frappes. :)

Monday night we were driving up & down the street our hotel is on deciding where to eat - and I saw... a Schlotzky's!!! Mom & I both love the place. We were so ridiculously excited that mom says "We're going to have to contain ourselves before we go in or it's going to be embarrassing." hehe. After we got food for us from there we went to the KFC/Arby's across the street to get Leah something (she still won't eat sandwiches) and I got to order cheese curds there too! Schlotzsky's AND cheese curds. I was one happy woman.

Tuesday after we'd been shopping all that time already, we decided we wanted to sit to have lunch and rest and we tried a new place... Kona Grill. Kona Grill is now my new favorite restaurant. It was so good. So yummy. So fantastic. The first thing we ate there was an appetizer that was a fried wonton, laid flat, when a very thin slice of pan seared tuna, and a wasabi aioli drizzled all over it.... I can't even explain. One of the yummiest things I've ever put in my mouth. Seriously. We also ordered a dish to split and some sushi. All of which was just fantastic.

We didn't get hungry again until pretty late and decided to order food from the Mexican place across the street. Again - fabulous! Who knew?!? It was all delicious. All these yummy sauces and perfect tortillas.

Wednesday for lunch we decided to hit Kona Grill again. It was that good. Really. We ordered most if it to go because we were in a hurry to get to where I was meeting Nathalie. We were 30 minutes late meeting her as it was. (I'm lame) After having fun with her we went to a Krispy Kreme!

Seriously. The food on this trip. It was perfection.

I suppose maybe if I lived somewhere that had good restaurants and all the choices in the world - like in the middle of Denver - perhaps I wouldn't feel this way about eating great food on vacation. But alas.

I love food.

We also got to shop in a Whole Foods grocery store. I bought all kinds of yummy foods. It'll be fun for awhile to have all these unusual things to eat that I'm loving.

And it gives me lots of ideas - for things I can make myself.

Good thing I love to cook too!

There. Now you know how mental I am about food.

But seriously - if you live anywhere near a Kona Grill - go. now. :)

2 comments:

Connie Babe said...

living here has messed me up about restaurants.

like, i dream about going to salt lake so i can eat at morelia's again...the absolutely BEST chile verde enchiladas ever!!!

and the last trip, doug found me red rooster waffle company. holy cow!!! i can't wait to go there again.

i may have to blog about this. :D

glad you had good food! (there's a bbq place there in denver that i will drive the 8 hour trip just to eat at!)

Jaimee said...

Okay, so I totally know what you're talking about. When I take a trip, I am all about where we are going to eat. You should check out www.restaurant.com They had a good deal going on a few days ago and I got $75 worth of food for only 10 bucks! 25 at each the melting pot, mai thai, and asiago's there in boise. Now I've got to go for a visit!