Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Crepes

Remember this post? Swedish Pancakes (and my crepe maker experiment)

Well, I did finally do true crepes! I used Julia Child's recipe (of course. I'm all about Julia Child right now, eh?)

I made her dessert crepes on page 649 with the folded in beaten (until stiff) egg whites variation on pg 650.

Seriously, those were so soft and tender. I had to so carefully flip and pick them up. if you just lifted one with a fork it came apart. Total perfection.

This recipe made a lot so I stacked them with wax paper as they cooled and now I can have them several times! Woohoo!

I also made a Creme Anglaise - light custard sauce (pg 588). It is like the mother of all dessert sauces. Every other sauce builds from this point apparently. It was TO DIE FOR. Smooth and creamy and oh so heavenly. Sprinkled with a little bit of sugar, rolled, and covered in sauce:


I also froze a little bit of the sauce because I read somewhere about trying it like that. And woah. It's just divine.

The substitutions - the crepes are supposed to have orange liqueur in them. I used orange juice concentrate. (they don't taste at all like orange though - it's not much of it). The sauce some liquor was listed as optional or vanilla if you wanted it so I made the easy choice!

I'm excited to eat more of those crepes. SO good! What should I put in them next is the question... I want to stuff them with something. So many choices!

5 comments:

Kathy's Korner said...

I know no French.....but Momma Mia! I'm drooling on my keyboard!!

Renee said...

Mix cinnamon and sugar together...spread in the middle, roll, sprinkle on top....works best with warm crepes....classic Croatian dish!

Anonymous said...

LOL - that's what we usually do with Swedish pancakes because it's apparently also a classic Swedish thing!

Anonymous said...

How about some sort of sweet cream cheese mixture with frozen sweetened strawberries? Or maybe chocolate...that's always a great standby!

Hugs~
Krista
Boise, ID

Patti said...

I need to refrain from visiting your blog when I am hungry! ;)