Per Person:
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
A couple of weeks ago for a church activity we had "International Food Night" and the girls (and the adults) were each supposed to bring some kind of ethnic dish. I brought sushi, there was another chow mien dish, one of the other adults (Kristin in my blog roll) brought dessert sushi because I was bringing sushi - that was fun (rice krispies, dried fruit, and fruit leather).
Anyway, the other leader did Swedish pancakes and since then when Leah asks for pancakes I've been making them because at least she gets an egg in her too! Pancakes are just the most ridiculous breakfast food. lol
The above amount makes one big pancake - and I mean BIG. I do it in a 12 inch skillet.
This morning I remembered I had in my kitchen stuff this crepe making thing that was my step-sister's. She got it as a wedding present, never used it, and gave it to me because she thought I was more likely to play with it. She had no instructions with it or anything. So I just had to guess.
I used the Swedish pancake batter. And this was the journey:
The batter is very thin (crepe like obviously!)
The crepe makers and a similarly sized bowl. This is the part where I just had to guess how this was done because I have no instructions and I've never seen one of these before!
Sprinkle with liberally with sugar (butter it too if you're feeling like it. It's yummy!) ![]()
Roll it up:
I made strawberry sauce from frozen strawberries, a little sugar, and some strawberry jam (well, spreadable fruit so it was just fruit and pectin - no extra sugar) then pureed it. But seriously it's good without it - just sugar and butter. Several times I've done cinnamon, sugar, and butter. Delicious!
Slice up and eat!
So. The crepe maker. That's a pain in the neck. I will probably go back to just doing the big ones in my 12 inch skillet. It was NOT less work. It was messy. Seriously - it's just not that hard to flip a crepe. Or a Swedish pancake!
Maybe if I used true crepe batter? I don't know. I'll try it again someday.
Oh! And this would only have been better if I'd had some whipped cream. I did have some heavy whipping cream but I didn't want to use it before I was saving it for alfredo (which we had for dinner tonight with fresh spinach linguine. Yummy!)
So there you have it. My crepe maker experiment. Some kitchen tools are pointless!
2 comments:
i agree...it's just easier to use a pan for crepes...and i sure love those things!
i remember the girls' first experience with german pancakes...they were all excited, when we opened the oven, jaycey was right there to see the creation. she saw all the bumps and hills and her eyes went HUGE! she looked up and said, "what happened to it???"
sounds like this should go the way of the quesadilla maker
Post a Comment