My newest thing to try: Spanakopita Lasagna
I'll put here what I did I guess. Changes mostly do to what I had in the house and what I forgot to have Drew buy. haha. (phyllo dough)
1 lb dried lasagna noodles, cooked for 10 minutes - add salt and olive oil to the water when boiling, lay them out or hang them over something, set aside. (you don't want to cook them all the way or they'll be mushy when they come out of the oven)
Béchamel Sauce:
- 5 Tbsp Butter
- 5 Tbsp Flour
- 5 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp+ salt (I didn't measure)
- 1/4 tsp+ black pepper
*This is more sauce than the original recipe because I needed enough to coat the top since I wasn't doing the phyllo dough on top. This left me with about 4.5 cups once it thickened up. Perfect amount.
Spinach Filling:
- 1 - 10 oz box of fresh frozen chopped spinach, thaw, squeeze out as much water as you can in a colander
- 4 TBSP butter
- 3 cloves garlic (I used 3 HUGE cloves), minced

- 6 green onions/scallions
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lb feta
- 1 egg, beaten
In pan, melt butter. Add olive oil. When heated add garlic. Saute until tender. (be careful not to burn the garlic. Burnt garlic is nasty! lol) Add green onions. Saute until soft. Add spinach, parsley, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Set aside and let it cool.
In another bowl mix: egg and feta.
When the spinach mixture is cool enough to not cook the egg combine it with the feta/egg mixture.
Have about 1 cup of freshly grated Parmesan ready.
Assembly time!
- 1/2 cup sauce

- layer of noodles
- 1 cup of sauce
- 1/3 of the spinach mixture
- about 1/4 cup of parmesan
- layer of noodles
- 1 cup of sauce
- 1/3 spinach mixture
- about 1/4 cup of parmesan
- layer of noodles
- 1 cup of sauce
- rest of spinach mixture
- about 1/4 cup of parmesan
- layer of noodles
- rest of the sauce (should be about a cup left)
- rest of parmesan
- I also sprinkled some bread crumbs on it.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let it set for maybe 10 minutes (I know that's so hard to do!)
OH! And here's what I forgot to add at the spinach mixture point: haha. oops. I found it after I the lasagna was done so I sprinkled it on top. Whatever. Parsley is a good garnish too right??
Edited to Add - since I didn't put the phyllo on top I've been calling this Greek Lasagna. It's not really spanakopita without the phyllo. lol
2 comments:
oh, that looks good!
Wow, this looks delicious!!
Post a Comment