Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Drew for the win!

So yesterday I guess Drew was wandering around downtown Green River, WY and he happens upon a thrift store that is having a “going out of business” sale. He decided to go in a look around.

He found this silver set. And he thought I would love it. He also thought it was probably worth more than the 75 dollars they were selling it for.

The woman told him she didn’t think the silverware was worth much but she new the box itself was worth about 40 bucks. She had a paper that showed the silverware was worth about 500 dollars but she didn’t believe it. Anyway – Drew bought it for me and brought it home because he knew I would love it.

I did some research and found out that it was made in 1921 by Community Plate (which is now Oneida). The pattern is called Grosvenor. It’s silver plated and buying all the pieces I now  have individually… would cost about 800 dollars!

*faint*

http://www.silverpattern.com/Grosvenor.htm – You can see a bunch of pictures there. And if you feel the need to buy me a present… There are some pieces there I would love to have. haha.

Drew wanted to sand and refinish the box and I told him he was out of his mind. I LOVE it just like it is. All vintage and gorgeous.

So here is what it looked like this morning…

DSCN8627DSCN8630

DSCN8628

So I read all over the internet for awhile about the best ways to clean it. One of them is to induce a chemical reaction. You need aluminum foil, baking soda, salt, and boiling water.

DSCN8631

DSCN8637

And… then I forgot to take a picture while it was bubbling and doing it’s thing because I was so fascinated. It took most of the tarnish off. I still got a soft old toothbrush (poor Leah. That used to be hers… now it’s in the garbage.) and rubbed off the rest of the tarnish with the toothbrush and a little baking soda. Very gently.

I also cleaned the box inside and out and rubbed it with wood oil cleaner.

These are the after pictures:

DSCN8642

DSCN8644DSCN8645DSCN8647DSCN8648

LOVE! Yay!

1 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow, that's beautiful!