Saturday, March 21, 2009

Cooking Challenge

Today I was chatting with my friend, Camela, and I tell her I need something interesting to do. First she suggested I rearrange furniture - which unknown to her I love to do but Drew was not agreeable. (understatement) And then she said I should cook but the challenge was whatever cookbook I pulled out first had to be the one & I had to do something from it I had never done before.

So I asked Drew to go downstairs and grab a cookbook - his choice. And he came back with a "Best-loved Casseroles" cookbook that I don't really like. (of course! LOL). So I decided to do a Seafood Lasagna from the book.

I'm not going to post the recipe because it needs some work. I did it as it was written even though I had my doubts. I am reminded to not ignore my instincts when it comes to cooking. Not to say it was horrible but I don't really love recipes that skimp on sauce and use cream soups - it's good but it just seems like something is lacking. So I'll make that again with some more flavors and a true white sauce into of cream soup and post it then. Drew liked it but he agreed about the changes I'd like to make. In the meantime, it was pretty! Here's a picture:

P3210013

I also choose a dessert - this she said that could come from anywhere but it still had be something I hadn't made before: Ginger Peach Dessert

I did that recipe but like this (the same but the conversions done and double the number of gingersnaps because apparently ours our smaller than 'ginger biscuits'):

2 cans of peach halves
20 gingersnaps
1 cups heavy whipping cream
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp double strength vanilla

Then I followed the instructions on the link for layering.

Really, really simple and really yummy!

I want very very badly to try that with fresh peaches. I think if I halved them, grilled them, and then did that recipe... then it would be over the top to die for.

Anyway! Pictures of that:

P3210012

2 comments:

Sue said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you even thought of ways to improve the recipes. I didn't know you were such a good cook!

Sue

PS: Love the elephant picture.

Kathy's Korner said...

Oh what fun idea!

Good thinking Camela!