Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sushi

I did it. I made my own sushi.

I love sushi but I live in Wyoming. There isn't exactly a sushi bar on every corner...

So I ordered this kit from Amazon (which a very nice friend helped me choose. There were so many to chose from!): Sushi Kit and it came yesterday. So today I made sushi! I got most of what I needed at the grocery store. I had to get the seaweed and the wasabi at the Asian store in town. (that's right we have an Asian market in our little Wyoming town. hooray for me!)

So here are some pictures. I really am proud of myself. And it was SO crazy good. Drew loved it even though he was completely convinced beforehand that he would hate it! And it's so much more fun if someone loves it with you, isn't it??

So first I made short grain/sushi rice in my rice cooker. I spread it in this bowl to cool.
P3060001

In the meantime I did this sauce which is a mixture of rice vinegar, salt, sugar and soy sauce. It was supposed to be mirin not soy sauce which is apparently some alcohol something. When I do this again I I will use slightly less salt. It was very very good but soy sauce is salty, of course. I saw other online mixtures that don't have soy sauce or mirin. Just rice vinegar, salt, and sugar. Actually come to think of it I probably won't add soy sauce at all next time. I like dipping it in soy sauce but we didn't since that would have been overkill this time. Maybe it'll depend on my mood. lol

P3060002

Some of the ingredients I had laid out and had ready to go:

ingredients

This is the one that had crab, cucumber, wasabi, and avocado:

P3060008 P3060009 P3060010cropped

Tuna, Crab, Cucumber, Green Onion, a little smear of mayo and a smear of wasabi:

 P3060014cropped2

This is the veggie one. Red leaf lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, green onions, and avocado. This one was drew's favorite. And although I've posted it last was the first one I made. The rice was a little thick I think. So the others were thinner.

P3060015cropped

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool!! You are so adventurous in the kitchen. It looks really yummy too. Maybe we should have a sushi making activity with the girls. It would be fun! Glad it turned out Great!

Connie Babe said...

very cool! i am impressed!

Sue said...

Man, that looks so complicated! Go you!

Sue