Saturday, November 26, 2011

Our Pets & A New Addition

I think I haven’t updated this blog as our pets have done a shift over the last year. We had two dogs and two cats. The two dogs returned to their former owner when he unexpectedly came back to town. He wanted them back so very badly and they were just so happy to see him. It was hard to not let that happen.

Shortly after that so acquired Chloe. I posted about her previously. So we had Benny, Joon, and Chloe. All was well. I seriously love cats.

Then we moved. We left the cats at the old house for one night. They’ve previously been at home alone for a lot more than one night. No big deal. But the next morning – no Chloe. We checked a lot, we hung posters, called the shelter several times. We never saw her again. It was so sad. Sad smile 

Benny & Joon. Just as a refresher – they were feral (wild) kittens when we got them from the shelter. So as domesticated as they were with our family, they’ve only ever lived in a single home and moving was a new experience for them. So we get them over here… We kept them inside for about a week. Finally Benny was begging so much that I let them both out. Joon came back that evening – Benny did not. We went to the old house a couple days later to do something and… There he was. Benny had gone home. It’s 2 miles. We caught him again. He was less than pleased.

We waited about 10 days and then he got out on accident. Again he went “home”.

Take 3. Bring Benny home (this is getting old). The next time he got out – we never saw him again. Benny was certainly not meant to be an indoor cat but dang. I never expected that he would go through all that. I assume something happened to him on his last trip back. You have to cross the highway twice in that 2 miles plus various other roads.

Sigh. So we were down to one cat.

Oh! And a turtle. Alice the Turtle. That’s something Leah and Drew acquired from a neighbor. It was set up all wrong and I had to fix the situation  but now Leah has a very happy Alice hanging out in her room.

Anyway!

We got a new kitten. My friend Karianne’s SIL had some kittens she was finding homes for and Karianne was going near her for Thanksgiving. I babysat her dog and when she got home she traded me for a kitten! Yay!

This is Kali:

DSCN8463DSCN8460DSCN8451

Amazingly she looks A LOT like Joon. Very similar white markings, etc. Kali is more fluffy though. She’s pretty adorable, eh?

And Alice:

Alice

She actually now has a red light over the rock and the white light is over the right side and only on during the day. I have never wanted a turtle but she’s pretty funny. If you walk in on her when she’s basking on that rock she dives in the water with such a ruckus you’d think you walked in on a naked woman. And she likes to bang against the side to try to get you to feed her. Again. Apparently red ear sliders have no appetite control. Or so I read. So they will beg constantly. It’s pretty funny.

1 comments:

Connie Babe said...

sorry about your cats...adorable new kitten! never knew turtles had personality..learn something everyday!