Monday, November 7, 2011

Help Me, Please?

What is the worst way you have ever had someone ask you for help?

Okay. That's not THE blogging prompt for today but it made me laugh out loud. I've had more than one person do this but it's my LEAST favorite, most obnoxious, feels-insanely-manipulative pet peeve way of asking for help.

Needs Help Person: So... How are you?

... I answer. Reciprocate:

NHP: Oh I'm good. What are you up to today?

.... I answer (and if I know the person well I hear the trap being laid)

NHP: Oh! I'm so glad you aren't doing anything important. Can you ________ for me? 

Seriously. I HATE that. It's so obnoxious.

One time my husband told someone I was at home and lonely (this was pre children and he had to work) and said to them that they should do something with me, entertain me, etc. And what did they do for real? Call and say "I heard you weren't doing anything. Can you babysit?"

Nice. Thanks. My feelings were wicked hurt. And guess what? I said yes. That was a different me. Today I would have said no.

I am more than happy to do people favors (and really I rarely do say no) but be up front. Give me the chance to gracefully say no since that is, in fact, my right. Don't make it awkward for me. It's MEAN.

That is all. End of rant. :)

Wasn't that fun?

1 comments:

Connie Babe said...

i have a sister that will do this: what are you doing (fill in the date range)?

uh oh...

i completely agree...give me the chance to gracefully say no!

so i quite often email my bigger requests...so they don't have the "uh oh" moment in person with me, and have to hide their honest reaction...and a reminder that it's okay to say no...

and i just mini-blogged in your comments...sorry... :)