I was just reading this post: http://tracey-justanothermommyblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/is-there-such-thing-as-too-much.html at Just Another Mommy Blog by Tracey.
I think about that a lot. Leah is confident she's gorgeous and perfect and wonderful. She says things like "I'm bootiful!" or "I'm the best!" She'll also say "I'm the best at ______" insert activity. For example, "I'm the best at finding things!" (And seriously she is. We ask her where stuff is all the time because she can always find it!)
I do worry about the day coming - the one where she finds out that not everyone thinks she is the most beautiful, precious, smartest, most wonderful child on the whole planet.
But (and this is the comment I left on Tracey's blog) I think the world will beat it out of them. What I really worry is "Am I giving her enough to survive it?? Will she make it through her teenage years with some self confidence intact? Will anything happen that breaks her faith in herself? How bad will it be? Will she recover?"
That stuff makes me scared.
I sure love that girl. And the more she believes in herself deep down as part of who she is - I think the better off she'll be as she weathers the storm of growing up!
It would be nice if we remembered that every person we see was (or should have been - because sometimes parents suck) someone's perfect wonderful child! Wouldn't the world be different?
4 comments:
Well, just make me cringe, why don't you?!? I'm gonna go tell her she's incredible, again....
:)
LOL Sorry Tracey!
now i'm all teary. cuz i've been using that 'ugly stick' on myself yesterday and today. and i used to think i was beyond terrific!!!
i remember, as a teenager, i swore i wouldn't let the world beat that wonderment out of my children. i look at jaycey, and i see what coulda been with me.
you just worded it all beautifully.
thank you for the reminder.
I suggest to not ever let herself think she's less than what she really is.
I hear people all the time, mostly at school, criticizing themselves, when what they say isn't even close to true. And no one corrects them!
That is just sad to me.
Nobody should ever dislike themselves...
Post a Comment