Friday, September 5, 2008

Leah's doc appt

Leah got some of her shots today. They are the ones she should have had at 12 months. Now she just needs the MMR (first one)and she'll be caught up.

She did AWESOME at the doctor today.

First - My kid doesn't like surprises me much. It is necessary that I prep her if something is coming that will be different. Most definitely going to the doctor and getting shots is different!

For several days before hand Leah & I talked about the doctor. She got a little doctor's kit that had a stethoscope, a syringe, and a thing-a-ma-bob to look in your ears and up your nose. So I used that to go through what the doctor would do with her. And then I told her: "They will give you shots like this (while showing with the syringe) except there will be a needle on the end."

"A needle like when you check your blood sugar?" (she's so smart, right?? LOL)

"Yes, but longer."

"Okay."

"It will hurt. You can say OWIE! and you might cry."

"OWIE!" (Then she pretended to give herself shots for awhile)

We repeated this conversation about 20 times over the last few days.

So the doc comes in and every time he does the things I said he would she grins at me. That was so dang cute! lol

Then he said he'd send the nurse back to do the shots. (saying he was a chicken and he didn't want the kids to hate HIM).

The nurse came in to talk to me about which ones I wanted her to have. (heaven love her for that. They weren't pushy about my delaying stuff, etc. They totally trusted me when I explained why I waited.)

So she got 3 shots. They were all things that are already in her system. I debated about whether to even do those three but I feel a need to balance having a ton of visits with shots every time and having all the shots in one visit (which they would have done today - no way lol)

She needs to get one more shot (in a month) and she'll actually be caught up until it's the 5 year old stuff. Well, except the chicken pox one. I'm not bothering with that right now.

She didn't get sick the other times until later in the night or in the morning. So I won't know until tomorrow how it's effected her this time.

She did great with the actual shots. She didn't even cry with the first one. The second one she started to cry after the stuff went in her leg. The nurse said that one burns going in. The third didn't seem to make her cry any harder (she wasn't crying that hard). Just a little and saying "That hurts!" I was whispering in her ear being comforting. Drew was holding one leg while the nurse used the other. But it wasn't necessary at all. She cried but she laid perfectly still and didn't move. So BRAVE! She just looked at me and I kept whispering to her.

Then she cried for maybe a minute and she was just saying, "That hurt!"

"I told you it would hurt, huh?"

"Ya. And we would get ice cream!"

And we did :) She hate a little ice cream and seven chicken nuggets. I've never seen her eat more than one. She doesn't usually seem to like them! Crazy.

Since then she's moody but no other ill effects yet. She says the spots on her legs don't even hurt.

I hope this is easy! And that it was the right to wait and that it really helped, kwim?

I think that's it!

Oh and I'm sick. I had a sleepless night. I have a fever and a cough. I feel like CRAP. Good times!

Oh and the nurse checked her arms and said  "we'll have to use her legs her arms are too skinny!"

She's 36.25 inches & 32 lbs (fully dressed and with her shoes on). So probably slightly lighter and 36 inches which is what measured her at last week.

2 comments:

Jaycey said...

Awww, she's very brave

Connie Babe said...

Big Girl!!!

I almost always chickened out for shots and left the room. It sucks watching your kiddo hurt.