
Well, I did it! I went.
That was step 1. Yeah me! My mom did not come because she's sick. So not only did I go but I did it on my own. Yeah me again!
As I mentioned before I had to read this book prior to the class. While it was very informative, I am telling you what. It was the driest book I have ever read in my entire life. I wanted to pull my hair out.
**And let's remember here: I have a BS in Mathematics. I've read some dang dry material. This book has no equal.
I had to read it in small doses with a highlighter in hand to keep me focused. Whew.
But in GREAT news - the class was not so boring. It wasn't a party or anything but I really liked the instructor and the other women in the class. We had fun.
We spent 4 hours going over the book and talking. He showed us a lot of what was in the book with a real gun (unloaded, etc). We practiced things on it and at one pointed I loaded pink plastic bullets in a magazine. I thought that was funny.
They were feeding us lunch - it was pizza. Since I can't eat any of that, I ran home and made a tortilla wrap. Kissed my babies and Drew and went back. After lunch he had us each hold a gun and decide which one we would use when it was time to shoot for real .
Then we talked about the book some more and then took a written test. (50 questions. Some multiple choice/some true or false.) I got 100%. Woohoo!
Then it was time to shoot. Oh man.
So we get our ear things on, glasses, etc. He had everything set up in the indoor shooting range already. So we each choose a spot. First I got to shoot a gun of his that's work like 3k. Wowzer.
That didn't seem like a bad choice for my first time shooting a gun, eh?
And I swear on my life... I. was. awesome. HA! I totally thought I was gonna miss the whole target or something. But no. I rocked it. One of the women looks at my thing and says "I think you've found your calling." That was funny. It didn't look like the target of someone shooting for their first time ever.
I asked the teacher at the end of class if I could have my target thing. He said, "You're taking that home so you can show off!" and I said, "My husband will NEVER believe me if I don't bring it home and show him!" He just laughed and got it down for me.
And I was right btw - Drew said he'd have never imagined it if I hadn't brought it home.
So that first gun had a laser sight. That was pretty awesome but I wanted to try one that didn't to see if I could still aim without it. I used a 9 mm next. My shots were still good - although not quite as good. And then after a few of that I used a revolver. I still hit the target with all 5 rounds but that was probably the worst batch. (I have a picture I'll post with this and you can see). None of it was awful.
There were a couple people in the class who were having a hard time even hitting the target so I felt good about hitting it all the time. hehe. At one point when I had 10 holes in mine I stopped and was looking at some of the others and one girl only had 2 holes. She was having a hard time not anticipating the gun. He said she just needed to keep shooting so she got used to it.
He had us each time, load 3 rounds, shoot 3, take out the magazine, etc. put it all down. Repeat.
Anyway, all-in-all it was a fantastic experience. Guns demystified.
As my friend Jeff told me - you need to transfer your fear to respect & responsibility.
Mission accomplished I think.
It was worth it!
**
PS The girls did awesome with Drew. Hannah was soooooo happy to see me when I came in the door. She was sitting on Drew's lap on the couch and when she saw me her little arms and legs just went totally wild and she started squealing. Best moment of my day!
The pictures:
The circles I shot with gun #1 was similar to THIS except there was a laser sight thing on top. Well and some other things were different but you get the idea.
In the picture the shots with this gun are the circles. The ones with the X through them are a series of 3 I did where he said he wanted us to do 3 in really fast succession.
The 2nd gun was a 9 mm. These shots are marked with a triangle.
The 3rd was the revolver. These shots are marked with a square.
The target was hanging mid air, roughly the height of a person, 25 feet away for all the shots.
Oh - and one or two of those spots - it has a circle and an X because several times I shot through that same spot. It just kept making the hole bigger.
1 comments:
you rock! (my brother...the professional sharpshooter one...told me that women are better natural shots than men! and he doesn't give out compliments...and i'm anxious for doug to get home so i can unload my gun that lives under his pillow while he's gone...)
Post a Comment