You may or may not remember my previous book review - written last year - you should read that first.You'd think I had learned my lesson about previewing holiday thanksgiving books.
But I have not.
Perhaps two adorable preschoolers (Leah & her cousin Elaina) were running about the children's section of the library pulling books and handing them to me and I did not bother to look. And then perhaps as we were getting Leah to bed last night she asks to read three of these books...
And maybe - just maybe - ANOTHER book was about not having turkey for Thanksgiving.
FOR THE LOVE OF PETE.
Okay fine. At least this one didn't have an ax and sobbing children but it did talk about plucking and stuffing and how scared the turkey was - there were descriptions of the process - which I did not read out loud. I said something like "Oh they want to get me" and kept on reading.
I will say that if you ARE looking for a vegetarian thanksgiving book - I'd go with this one as opposed to the other. :)
The two pilgrim boys are singing this song:
"We'll pluck him, and stuff him,
and cook him up right.
We'll gobble, gobble turkey
for dinner tonight!"
And look at this review I found:
“Two pilgrim brothers set off to hunt up a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. "We'll pluck him, and stuff him, / and cook him up right. / We'll gobble, gobble turkey / for dinner tonight!" Their song forms a refrain throughout, but the smaller pilgrim brother begins to have second thoughts. He most certainly sees a terrified turkey a number of times, but he always leads his brother in another direction. Meanwhile, Turkey tries hiding in a tree, a gopher hole and a pond-with disastrous results. Then small pilgrim brother helps Turkey hide in a woodpile, and the two boys take home a huge pumpkin for dinner instead. Vegetarian storytellers now have an excellent companion to Dav Pilkey's Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving (1990) for their cruelty-free holiday storytimes. Wickstrom's high-spirited hunting brothers and the most expressive turkey in recent memory are a perfect match for Archer's sweet hide-and-seek story. Even the most carnivorous listeners will enjoy this yummy addition to any collection.”I can't believe it even mentions the last book I reviewed on this very topic.
What is with my luck? You know there are TONS of thanksgiving books for kids in the world. Probably even with perfectly innocent people eating turkey.
The message from this book? Let the turkeys live.
I wonder if I can accidentally check out one next year?
And as you can see - we still go to the library every Friday for more books. :)
I have another one we haven't read called Turkey Bowl. There's people playing football on the front. It might be safe...
3 comments:
lol...too funny.
good luck for next year! i'm kind of hoping for us blogger readers that it happens!
although, next year, she might be reading along...you'll have to be trickier... ;)
Seriously? That is so ridiculous. I totally remember last year's Tday book. lol!
I bought Jake a cute ABC's of Halloween book. Maybe I should write a ABC's of a Vegetarian Thanksgiving. "T is for Tofu", "C is for Cleaver" ! Any takers?
Holy shit. I just about cried reading both reviews... I DO have a few Thanksgiving books that are TOTALLY HARMLESS. You really need to check the books FIRST, hon!
Post a Comment