Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I am thankful for my eyes.

Thankful Jar Post

We have been doing the thankful jar still. Although we've missed a few days here and there so we'll probably keep going until we've used them all.

Today was "I am thankful for my eyes."

It said to watch a movie together. We did that, of course, but then I got a handkerchief and blindfolded Leah. We talked about how she could hear the cartoons but not see them. Then I told her to go potty. Drew stayed close to her as she worked her way up the stairs and went to the bathroom. Then she came back down - asking Drew to carry her first but he said no. Then I got her a bowl of ice cream (I did not tell her what it was) and left her blindfolded to try to eat it. While she tried that with little success (there were many spoonfuls of nothing in her mouth) we talked about all the things that she wouldn't be able to see. Flowers, movies, etc. And she said - I wouldn't be able to see my mommy!! - which was very sweet.

Finally I took off her blindfold and let her eat her ice cream.

It was a good little mini lesson. I think she got the point about what blind really means. Not the depth of it of course but she's 4.

I wonder how I can mange it when we hit the "I am thankful for my ears" one...

2 comments:

Leah Marie said...

They make wax mold-able ear plugs. you kinda put them in your ear and then move the waxy-ness around until it fits exactly into your ear shape. I've worn them, and you just can't really hear anything with them in.

Just an idea. :-)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

What a good idea! I do this myself, actually, because I'm weird. Ever try shaving your legs with your eyes closed?

Don't. It's bloody.