"We should not be seduced by the notion that Obama's presidency signals the end of racism, the civil rights movement, the struggle for black equality or the careers of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton." -Michael Eric Dyson, LA Times, Today
I think that's true. But really! This IS history worth celebrating. Last night I said to Drew "When our parents were Leah's age segregation existed. Is it possible that in just two generations we have gone from that to this?" It truly is amazing. It is a GREAT stride.
"To those Americans whose support I have yet to earn -- I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your president too."
Seriously, that was a good speech. I liked that part.
(PS I loved McCain's speech too. It was classy. Perfect really.)
This is the part that happens every election. People fight and argue everyone votes and then - then we need to let it go. Someone wins and now we move forward and hope for the best!
But the best part? That would be my conversation with Leah last night.
Although all along I've been saying that you don't vote for Obama because he's African American/Black. You don't vote for McCain because his running mate is a woman. These are not reasons to vote for someone. You look up his or her politics and then you go from there. (PS And by look up politics I do not mean the insane ads on TV - oh those commercials make me so glad this is over! - and the flyers all around and the crap the arrives in the mail and the phone callls - I mean the facts. Places like ontheissues.org - the FACTS.)
Anyway, my conversation with Leah.
I don't think there's any matching the feeling I had when Leah was asking about what Drew & I were talking about when they called him as the winner. I showed her his picture & I was explaining to her how he was the next president and what the president was, etc. She was asking great questions.
The picture was of Obama & Biden.
And my sweet (almost) 3 year old pointed out that our President Elect MATCHES HER. She held her arm up to the screen. "We match. He matches me."
And I told her "This is the first time that someone who matches you has ever been President."
And she danced around saying "He wins. He wins. He wins."
Then she pointed out the Biden matched me. :giggle:
It's a historic moment. And THAT is why.
I could have had that conversation and pointed out Palin is a girl. And how that was a first.
All politics aside - it is SO cool that she noticed.
What does this mean for her self image? ANYTHING is possible. Anything.
This is America. A place where American Dreams actually do come true.
That's so cheesy to say. And yet SO true.
I'm feeling all romantic like this morning. Can you tell?
6 comments:
everything else aside...leah saying that he matches her...that is wonderful.
i love your daughter. she's an amazing angel.
Okay, so the story with Leah, totally gave me goosebumps... awesome.
I thought both speeches were fantastic. Obama has always blown me away with his speeches and his eloquence. And while he was not my choice for president, McCain wasn't my ideal candidate either.
I'm proud of our Country and I while I'm nervous about some of Obama's policies I'm proud to have him as my president and I'm thankful we have someone who can actually use proper english and sound intelligent in the white house. 8 Years of Pres. Bush stumbling through sentences was driving me nuts!
Oh and we already discussed Leah's observation! But I just want to say again, Awesome!
This afternoon Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech came on the TV and Tyce was mezmorized. He asked "who is that" and I just told him "that was a very brave man". How do you explain the significance of that man to a 2 year old? I see a lot of the same in Obama as far as the ability to get you to stop and listen just by speaking. I hope and pray that the things he says and the platforms he has taken will come to pass for this country. Heaven knows that we need some serious economic change because people like us (middle class and self employed) are literally drowning while just living the with the minimum options life has to offer (except for internet of course! LOL!!)
Yes, I was torn in my decision but it is time for CHANGE in this country and I have a really wonderful feeling that it is going to happen!
I love the matching comment. That is priceless. You had me tearing up at the part about this being in America and American dreams really come true. I am hoping to make my dreams come true someday. I am working towards them.
It is great to talk to our children about historical things, their minds are sponges.
Hugs, Amy ;)
Post a Comment